Learn more about the Quebec education system

 In Uncategorized

Before enrolling in a Quebec university or studying in Quebec, it is important to learn about the similarities and differences with the educational system of your home country. It also has several advantages, including the following (to list a few) : avoiding surprises, guiding your choice of studies and being well prepared when collecting documents for applications.

So what is really important to know?

1- Postgraduate diplomas and number of years of schooling before university

In several French-speaking countries, students spend 4 years in college before starting high school. It is at this moment that the differences take place with Quebec. Instead of 3 years of high school completed by a bachelor’s degree, the Quebec system closes high school (secondary school) with the DES for the class which would correspond to the 1st in most French-speaking countries. Subsequently, in Quebec, 2 years in college (cégep) precede the first year of university and end with a diploma called DEC (Diploma of Collegial Studies). If all these explanations still leave you in the blur, below is a summary diagram which will also familiarize you with the names of the diplomas. Those who are more visual are served 🙂

It should be noted that the French baccalaureate (12 years of schooling) is recognized as the equivalent of the Québec college diploma (13 years of schooling) in terms of access to university education in Quebec. However, exceptions depending on the case and sometimes according to the equivalences granted to access the 1st year of university or graduate studies can appear.

Concerning France, certain French and Quebec diplomas are also the subject of a mutual recognition arrangement (MRA), which gives them, in fact, a certain similarity, even equivalence.

2- Make equivalences

Depending on your chosen studies, cycles and university, you have to be able to identify whether you have to go through the college (cegep) or go directly to university. This is when the recognition of diplomas and equivalence part comes into play. To qualify for regular undergraduate programs, for example, you must have a diploma of College Studies (DEC) from Quebec or the equivalent. This equivalent is determined either by the comparative evaluation done by the Department of Immigration, Diversity and Inclusion or by the criteria of the university. In both cases, the university or institution chosen remains the only one to validate.

The good news is that some candidates are eligible on other bases. For example, on the website of the University of Montreal, it is possible to see the marks or the required average according to the country of origin of the future student and the sector. Thus, several French-speaking African countries have a reserved tab that facilitates quick access to this information.

Expertise One Vision Tour: What we offer is to determine your case in a promptly manner. Our experienced consultants allow you to save time, to get to the basics and to do the right thing when applying for equivalence.

Send us an email at leslie.mbimbi@onevisiontour.com and we will be more than happy to answer your questions 🙂

Leave a Comment